W1_Hassan Albarrami_TUCKMAN ASSESMENT
1. Problem Recognition, Definition and Evaluation
Project management cannot be learnt by just reading books, in fact the only way to develop competency is by hands on experience. To do that a team of 25 persons from different companies in Oman were selected to deliver 5 projects as a training program . It is very normal that working in a group initiating conflicts due to different personal perspectives, furthermore the program were intentionally designed to create conflict to simulate real life projects . Tuckman’s Group assessment model will be applied to identify our team stage style and then follow the leadership style According to Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Theory to reach ultimate performance.
Our team “TakatutufPmi2014” had been through 32 questions developed by Donald Clark. 23 responses out of total 25 team members were collected and tabled as shown in the (Table 1)
Table 1. Donald Clark Team Survey Result 
2. Identify the Feasible Alternative.
Team stages model theory is widely used for team building which was developed by Dr. Bruce Tuckman’s in 1965. as model is nothing but stages in which any team tends to be through. Starting with forming where the team members still not familiar with each other and not clear with what are required from them. As soon as the team starts working they will face obstacles and they may challenge each other, conflict and confrontation characterize this stage which is called storming. Next step is normig, in this stage rules are established and the team will be clear about the required deliverables. Finally performing stage in which the work leads to the achievements and goals smoothly and efficiently.
Fagure1. Four Stages of Team Development 
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
According to Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Theory the following leadership styles are required in sequence wise in the team development stages
- Telling: the leader defines the roles for team members and tells them what, when and how to do the work. This style of leader ship required in the forming stage .
- Selling: Leader provides the information and directions and influence the team to participate in the work process . this style is suitable in storming stage .
- Participating: Leader shares decision-making and responsibilities. No need for the leader to be directive in this style of leader ship which is required in norming stage .
- Delegating: this style of leader ship is appropriate in performing stage where the team is highly motivated and functioning.
4. Selection of Criteria.
It is clear from the above table (Table.1) that each team member has different perspective about the team, it seems normal as the team members did not know each other before and had met first time for only five days .Delphi technique applied to analyze the collected data .following table show calculation result of Delphi technique with P95 for above data.
From the Table.2 TakatutufPmi2014 currently is in PerformingStage ( highest number P95 column ).
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative.
Even though Delphi technique shows that our team is in performing stage, it is observable from Table.2 the close results which explains the un clear perception about the team. It may also be a sign of storming stage . on the other hand the projects deliverables where explained clearly to the team in face to face meeting and the team already put the schedule with tasks and assign the recourses.
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative.
From analyses we can say that the team just pass storming stage but not yet mature enough to be in performing stage , hence it is better to assume that the team is in norming stage and using Participating leader ship style to guide the team gradually to performing stage .
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result.
To manage the team effectively it is recommended to make assessment every three weeks to monitor the team progress, so that the right leadership style can be applied to reach ultimate results .
- Stages of team development (Tuchman) Retrieved June 6, 2014, from http://www.12manage.com/methods_tuckman_stages_team_development.html
- The Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership® Theory Retrieved June 6, 2014, from http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_44.htm
- Survey: What Stage is Your Team in? Retrieved June 6, 2014, from http://www.cscaweb.org/EMS/sector_team/support_files/tools_for_the_team/tool_stage.pdf
- Characteristics of success team Retrieved June 6, 2014, from http://successful-team-2013.blogspot.com/2013/02/four-phases-of-team-development.html