1. Problem Definition.
Program team ” Takatuf Oman 2014″ establish during 5 days face to face workshop. This program is 3 months competency based project management program which requires extensive working among project teams throughout 5 phases. Phases one closed by getting a notice to proceed from the sponsor where the team successfully manage to work on all program/ project documentations and define the deliverables.
For such a new built program team, they will go through different building relationship stages according to Dr. Bruce Tuckman theory. This artical will Dr. Drue Tuckman assessment methodology to understand in which stage the team is and propose different alternatives.
2. Identify the Feasible Alternative.
The Forming – Storming – Norming – Performing model of group development was first proposed by Bruce Tuckman in 1965, who maintained that these phases are all necessary and inevitable in order for the team to grow, to face up to challenges, to tackle problems, to find solutions, to plan work, and to deliver results. This model has become the basis for subsequent models .
According to the theory of group development it and the above model , it’s very important to identify the strategies and tactics which are different for each stage of team development. However, task assigned to all team members to work on Tuckman assessment.
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
Assessment been sent to all team members and 23 out of 25 members managed to send back the answers To identify where stage the position of Takatuf Oman 2014 in the Tuckman’s model, quickly survey was done. Each team member was asked to answer 32 assessment questions .
It’s reflecting in the above table that the distribution on the assessment result following natural distribution which vary from individual to another. This due to short period that the team stay togather during face to face stage. However , Delphi technique with P90 is decided to be used.
4. Selection of Criteria.
Following table below show calculation result of Delphi technique with P90 for previous data.
Takatuf Oman Table 
The Takatuf Oman 2014 project team position currently is in Performing Stage.
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative.
As per the Table  it’s clearly reflecting the team position now as performing stage and the other three areas are almost close. In same time forming and norming stages are equal by 26 for both within P90. From the other side , the Storming stage result is 24 which is clearly indicating that the face to face stage was not enough for the team to do some more storming..
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative.
While the result is clearly reflecting that the team position now in Performing stage, however, due to newly formed team the perception of the team clearly drive the result to the performing stage. This is too early stage for the team to reach and there would be another alternative for the team to do either by spending quality time on doing the assessment or re do the assessment in the final stage to witness the changes of the perception.
In accordance to Hersey and Blanchard’s Situational Leadership model there are four types of leaders:
- Telling (Forming) – is characterized by one-way communication in which the leader defines the roles of the individual or group and provides the what, how, why, when and where to do the task;
- Selling (Storming) – while the leader is still providing the direction, he or she is now using two-way communication and providing the socio-emotional support that will allow the individual or group being influenced to buy into the process;
- Participating (Norming) – this is how shared decision-making about aspects of how the task is accomplished and the leader is providing less task behaviors while maintaining high relationship behavior;
- Delegating (Performing) – the leader is still involved in decisions; however, the process and responsibility has been passed to the individual or group. The leader stays involved to monitor progress.
According to the result Delegation ( Performing) where the leader still involved in the decisions in order to deliver the perfomance expected by the sponsor.
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result.
In conclusion, the Takatuf Oman 2014 team manage to achieve the first phase as face to face stage. However, there were a few incendent during the program which reflect the team need to get more focus in deliverables and understanding this deliverable in term of deadline and expectation. The stage 2 which is distance learning will be able to improve such area with more leadership skill from the project managers as well as the program manager. References:
- Shift-it-coach.com. (2012). The Joys and Challenges of Group Dynamics. Retrieved from http://www.shift-it-coach.com/2012/12/the-joys-and-challenges-of-group-dynamics/
- share point and group dynamic. Ronj Charity. Retrieved from http://www.cscaweb.org/EMS/sector_team/support_files/tools_for_the_team/tool_stage.pdf
- en.wikipedia.org (2014). Tuckman’s stages of group development. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckman’s_stages_of_group_development