W1 _Said Alamri_Tuckman Assessment
1. Problem Recognition
Takatuf PMI 2014 team formed in 24 May 2014.Program manager was selected by the team members. The project manager doesn’t know all of the team members. In order to know the team and how is the harmony between them to accomplish the course objectives, Tuckman assessment adopted to identify at what stage the team is? And what type of leader ship style should be established?
2. Development the Feasible Alternative
After the assessment the team can be categorized into one of the four Tuckman’s stages:
• Forming: Is the first stage of team building, the forming of the team takes place. The individual’s behavior is driven by a desire to be accepted by the others. This is a comfortable stage to be in, but the avoidance of conflict means that not much actually gets done. The forming stage of any team is important because the members of the team get to know one another, exchange some personal information, and make new friends.
• Storming: The storming stage is necessary to the growth of the team. It can be contentious, unpleasant and even painful to members of the team who are averse to conflict. Tolerance of each team member and their differences should be emphasized. This phase can become destructive to the team and will lower motivation if allowed to get out of control. Some teams will never develop past this stage.
• Norming: The team manages to have one goal and come to a mutual plan for the team at this stage. In this stage, all team members take the responsibility and have the ambition to work for the success of the team’s goals.
• Performing: It is possible for some teams to reach the performing stage. These high-performing teams can function as a unit as they find ways to get the job done smoothly and effectively without inappropriate conflict or the need for external supervision.
Hersey-Blanchard situational leadership theory is adopted to identify the leader ship style that fit each stage. It is categorizes all leadership styles into four behavior types, which named:
• Telling: is characterized by one-way communication in which the leader defines the roles of the individual or group and provides the what, how, why, when and where to do the task.
• Selling: while the leader is still providing the direction, he or she is now using two-way communication.
• Participating: this is how shared decision-making about aspects of how the task is accomplished and the leader is providing less task behavior while maintaining high relationship behavior.
• Delegating: the leader is still involved in decisions; however, the process and responsibility has been passed to the individual or group. The leader stays involved to monitor progress.
Tuckman’s stages teaming model and corresponding Hersey-Blanchard situational leadership style:
• Forming -Telling
• Storming¬- Selling
• Norming- Participating
• Performing- Delegating
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
Using Delphi technique with probability 70 (P70) to make conclusion for the Tuckman assessment survey introduced in Table- 1:
min max Mean Standard Deviation P70 (z=0.53)
4. Selection of Criteria
The data reflects that the team had passed the forming and storming stages in the face to face phase. Even most of the team does not know each other before TAKATUF PMI 2014 but because of the nature of the team which are from the same country and almost same background and culture they easily passed through the forming and storming stage as well.
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
The results shown in table-1 the team is in the performing stage. From my point of view, the team is in the norming stage. Even though, the goals of the team were identified and the team members are taking the responsibilities to work toward accomplishing the team’s goals. The team is not mature enough to be in the level of performing stage to work independently and get job done smoothly.
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
In the norming stage the team manages to have one goal which is to pass PMI exam and developed a plan during the f2f 1 and put schedule to put in action each stage of the program. The leader should follow participating approach by providing less task behaviour while maintaining high relationship behavior. All team members take the responsibility and have the ambition to work for the success of the team’s goals.
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
The first report will judge on team and will show if the team is actually in the norming stage or not. If we are indeed in this stage the leader should drive the team toward the performing stage so the team can function as a unit and get the things done smoothly.
A. Situational leadership theory , date retrieved 7June 2014http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_44.htm
B. mahakam2012 W1 – Gasuta- Tuckman Analysis Assignment, date retrieved 5 June 2014, http://mahakam2012.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/w1-gasuta-tuckman-analysis-assignment/
C. Tuckman’s stages of group development , date retrieved 7 June 2014, http://www.the-happy-manager.com/articles/teamwork-theory/
D. W1.0_NALA_Tuckman Assessment to Determine Team Development Stages ,date retrieved 5 June2014,http://topazsmartd.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/w1-0_nala_tuckman-assessment-to-determine-team-development-stages-2/comment-page-1/
E. Leadership style, date retrieved 5 June 2014, http://www.mbaknol.com/wpcontent/uploads/2010/09/leadership-style.jpg