- Problem Definition
Takatuf PMI 2014 team has been formed during the 5 days face to face Project management. Representatives of different companies in Oman attended the program. The 25 delegates has shared vision and goals. As for any newly established team, it is vital to understand the team dynamic and situation. Hence, to decide the appropriate leadership style that can be adopted to steer the team toward achieving its goals. Which is the ultimate purpose of this post.
In 1965, Dr. Dr. Bruce Tuckman introduced team development theory. In the theory Dr. Tukman suggested that any team undergo through for development stage which are; forming, norming, storming and performing .
I. Methodology and Results:
To map Takatuf 2014 PMI team in the Tukman model, a survey circulated to the team members whereby team members have to answer 32 question demonstrates the results of the survey below where 22 samples were used to conclude this result :
- Development of the feasible alternatives
Based on Hersey and Blanchard’s Situational Leadership model there are four types of leaders style that can be adopted to steer any team to be more effective and productive as shown below :
- Possible solution / alternative
The team can be either in one of the four stages; Forming stage, Storming stage, Norming stage or performing stage.
- Selection of Criteria
It is obvious from the results in table A and based on Delphi technique with P90 that the team is in performing stage.
- Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
Reference to table A, the results indicate that the team currently in the performing stage, which can conclude that team has high sense of direction and purpose. Furthermore, there is a lot of cooperation between team members to achieve the desired goal. Therefore, delegation is crucial for the team at this stage in order to accelerate the team dynamic.
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative.
The results draw good conclusion that delegating style of leadership is the appropriate style for the Takatuf PMII 2014 Team.
- Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result.
Since the delegation leadership style is the most applicable style for the team at this development stage. There is a high expectations form the team to work in autonomy where minimum supervision is required from the management. Also, the management in return has to put all the trust in the team members and expect superior results and millstones.
- Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing: Understanding the Stages of Team Formation. (n.d.). Forming, Storming, Norming, and Performing. Retrieved June 7, 2014, from http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_86.htm
- Cscaweb.org. (2012). Survey: what stage is Your Team In? Retrieved from http://www.cscaweb.org/EMS/sector_team/support_files/tools_for_the_team/tool_stage.pdf
- The Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Theory – from MindTools.com. (n.d.). Retrieved June 7, from http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_44.htm