1. Problem Definition
The company assigned me for a new role as “Project Services Lead”. For this new position I need to identify successfully the works handled by the team members. The team consists of 8 members with different specializations. The main work areas are Planning, Costing & Reporting, Document Control, Risk, and Lessons Learned.
2. Identify the Feasible Alternative
To help me on this, I use RACI Matrix’s Technique. The Matrix is about all the activities or decision making authorities undertaken in an organization set against all the people or roles. At each intersection of activity and role it is possible to assign somebody responsible, accountable, consulted or informed for that activity or decision.
Figure.1: RACI Definitions
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
To implement RACI Matrix’s, I listed all the activities assigned to Project Services Department. I categorized these activities among the main work areas (Planning, Costing & Reporting, Document Control, Risk, and Lessons Learned).
Figure.2: The Team Activities List.
After this, I distributed the (responsible, accountable, consulted or informed) for each single activity.
4. Selection of Criteria
The following table shows the team RACI Matrix.
Figure.3: The Team RACI Matrix
The RACI Matrix clearly identifies the involvement of each team member in each activity.
5. Analysis of the Alternative.
This result will be useful for:
- Workload Analysis: when used against individuals or departments overloads can be quickly identified.
- Re-organization: to ensure that key functions and processes are not overlooked.
- Employee Turnover: newcomers can quickly identify their roles and responsibilities.
- Work Assignment: allows duties to be redistributed effectively between groups and individuals.
- Project Management: allows for flexibility in matrix management situations allowing for the right balance between line and project accountabilities.
- Conflict Resolution: provides a forum for discussion and resolving inter-departmental conflict.
- Documents the Status Quo: the output from RACI is a simple yet effective method of documenting the roles and responsibilities in an organization.
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative.
By referring to RACI Matrix, it will be clear to the team members what everybody is responsible for. Also it will be easy for me to track the deliverables of the team, and to set a proper competency plans for the team members. The work delegation, during the absence of each member will be more accurate.
In summary, RACI matrix is a great project management tool that greatly improves the communication within the team and helps getting the tasks done faster. If used right it would reduce the amount of email noise (getting emails for tasks that you don’t need to be informed of) and helps the whole team to stay productive.
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result.
As we have a weekly team meeting to discuss the work progress and highlight the issues during last week. We can monitor the RACI Matrix and update it in the team performance review session.
- Balaji Viswanathan (2014, April). Understanding Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RACI Matrix). Retrieved June 14, 2014, from http://www.catalystonline.com/wpcontent/uploads/2010/11/Catalyst_Desk_Ref.jpg
- Project Smart Articles (2008, December). How to Do RACI Charting and Analysis: A Practical GuideRetrieved June 14, 2014, from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/how-to-do-raci-charting-and-analysis.php.
- Advision Inc (2013, August). Simplified RACI Chart. Retrieved June 14, 2014, from http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-us/applications/simplified-raci-chart-12884943605