- Problem Definition:
Lately the Company handed me a tender and asked me to evaluate it for the coming Trials in Salalah Airport. The Tender is targeting Event management companies, which provides ORAT services for the opening of the new airport in Salalah. Many companies applied for this tender, and in this blog I will be comparing these companies.
- Development of Feasible Alternatives:
Based on the tender applicants, we have identified the three companies which meet the Mandatory Requirements in our technical evaluation criteria provided by our company tender prime document. The three companies are M Company , A Company 2 and T Company 3.
- Development of the Outcome for Alternative:
Grid analysis will be used in comparing the three different companies. Grid analysis will help you to decide between several options, where you need to take many factors into account . To use the tool, list the following :
- Lay out options (M Company, A Company and T Company ) as rows on a table.
- Lay out the factors as a column on a table.
- Score each factor using numbers 0 (poor) to 5 (Very Good).
- Allocate weights to show the importance of each factor.
Applying it to the tender:
Options are: M Company , A Company and T Company.
Factors are: Experience, Cost, Media, Catering, First Aid, Transportation and Management.
- Selection of Criteria:
|M Company||A Company||T Company|
|Experience||7 events in the last two yrs.(Full Event Management)||4 Events in the last two years. .(Full Event Management)||3 Events in the last two years .(Full Event Management)|
|Cost||832, 000 OMR||752,000 OMR||596, 000 OMR|
|Media (Volunteers)||Collection of Volunteers Plan Provided.||Collection of Volunteers Plan Provided.||No Collection of Volunteers Plan Provided.|
|Catering||Provided all menu’s for the event.||Menu’s not provided for the event.||Provided all menu’s for the event.|
|First Aid||Including First Aid Room(a supervisor and two nurses)||Not Including First Aid room nor the staff for it.||Not Including First Aid room nor the staff for it.|
|Transportation||2 Buses minimum, Luxurious buses, Company decided and included. Plenty of Experience in Salalah port.||Number of buses is not included, company is not decided yet. Participants will not wait longer than 10 minutes.||Nothing is mentioned, needs to be clarified.|
|Management||Full package of management.||Full Package of management and Managers are identified by names.||Not Mentioned, needs to be clarified.|
Table 1. Analysis comparison.
- Analysis and Comparison of the alternative.
By using Grid Analysis, the comparison of the above criteria will be as below:
|M Company||A Company||T Company|
Experience: 5= Highest Experience, 1=Lowest Experience
Cost: 5= Cheapest, 1= Expensive.
Media: 5= More Experience, 1= Less Experience.
Catering: 5= More Experience and menu options, 1= Less Experience and menu options.
First Aid: 5= Best options in First Aid, 1= Least options in First Aid.
Transportation: 5=Best option. 1= Least Option.
Management: 5= Higher Experience, 1= Lower Experience.
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative.
By applying Grid Analysis, the above table shows that the M Company scored the highest ranked which can be considered as the preferred alternative.
- Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result.
Hopefully once the upper management see’s this table, it will help them make up their mind or at least makes the tender clearer. Another PM tools will be used in this tender, which will in taking the decision.
1) Grid Analysis (2011). Retrieved from: http:// ://depts.washington.edu/oei/resources/toolsTemplates/grid_analysis.pdf
2) Decision Matrix Analysis. Retrieved from:http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTED_03.htm
3) Decision Making. Retrieved from: http://www.mbatools.co.uk/Toolbox/DecisionMaking/gridanalysis.htm