W4_Hassan Albarrami_Pareto Chart
1. Problem Definition
Oman is a developing country and infrastructural projects are increasing sharply. One of the main projects in Oman are the roads , unfortunately Oman is suffering from road accidents as the statistics for 2012 shows that one case of injury every hour due to road accidents and one death was reported every eight hours due to a crash. In this blog we need to identify the locations in which the most accidents happen so that more road resolutions to be exerted.
2. Identify the Feasible Alternative
Table 1 is showing statistical road accidents in Oman according to historical data form 2012.
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
Pareto chart will be applied here to find out which location need first attention. Pareto chart contains both bars and line graph in which values are plotted in descending order of relative frequency from left to right.
Table 2. Locations that leading to majority of road accidents
4. Selection Criteria
Locations which if tackled will reduce 80% of the problems.
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
Figure 1. Pareto chart analysis
Figure 1 shows that maximum accidents are in Mascat where as minimum accidents are in Musandam
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
According to figure 1, the company should focus only on top 5 locations below:
Table 3. Top 5 locations which need government attention to reduce accidents
If the government solve the road problems in these locations, it means the road accidents will be reduced by around 80 % .
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
The government to start working on those top 5 locations and to apply the same method every sex month so that new locations can be tackled.
- Gulfnews.com ,Oman traffic accident rate tests health sector,Retrieved on 23.06.2014 from http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/oman/oman-traffic-accident-rate-tests-health-sector-1.1193524
- Bright hub pm, Creating Pareto Charts With Microsoft Excel, Retrieved on 23.06.2014 from http://www.brighthubpm.com/templates-forms/8708-creating-pareto-charts-with-microsoft-excel/
- LAKSONO, A. (2014, June 17), W16_AL_Pareto Chart | Kristal AACE 2014. Retrieved on 23.6.2014, from http://kristalaace2014.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/w16_al_pareto-chart/