1. Problem Definition
The IT department tasks have been increased majorly in the last years with slight increasing in the number of employees. With this situation the IT employees’ responsibilities assignment were random creating un-clear tasks and overlapping in day to day tasks.
IT manager has decided to use RACI matrix to solve this issue.
2. Identify the feasible alternatives
RACI is a tool to identify roles and responsibilities and avoid confusion over those roles and responsibilities. In other words, it’s used to determine who is Responsible, Accountable, Consulted or Informed by examining the process, task, activity, effort, decision or inspection.
- Responsible: person who performs an activity or does the work.
- Accountable: person who is ultimately accountable and has Yes/No/Veto.
- Consulted: person that needs to feedback and contribute to the activity.
- Informed: person that needs to know of the decision or action.
The department functions and processes are:
There are 2 main teams in the department:
However the execution (real) teams are:
- System administrators
- Database administrators
- Network team
- Security team
- Development team
- Planning and designing team
3. Development of the outcome for alternative
The tasks are:
Figure 1 – Tasks list
4. Selection Criteria
Create a matrix with roles along the top and activities or tasks down the left side and in each of the table cells enter the appropriate RACI code.
Figure 2 – RACI matrix template
5. Analysis and Comparison of the alternative
Some analysis to be performed for RACI code with the following method:
Vertical and Horizontal analysis:
- Responsible (R) : no R, a few R, a lot of R
- Accountable (A) : no A, a few A, a lot of A
- Consulted (C) : no C, a few C, a lot of C
- Informed (I) : no I, a few I, a lot of I
Change Management Issues:
- Role conception: what people in an entity think their entity’s scope are.
- Role expectation: what others entity in the organization think another entity’s scope and how it should be carried out.
- Role behavior: what people actually do in carrying out their job.
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
Filling up the matrix:
Figure 3 – RACI matrix results
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
The RACI is useful tool to analyze the issues in work assignment and re-distribute the workload within the team. However any changes I work assignments need to be delivered to the team members.
- Busrya, P. (2017, January 19). W7_BSR_RACI matrix for better coordination in operation | TOPAZ SMART. Retrieved July 6, 2014, from http://topazsmartd.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/w7_bsr_raci-matrix-for-better-coordination-in-operation/
- Haughey, D. (n.d.). RACI Matrix. Retrieved July 6, 2014, from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/raci-matrix.php
- Hut, P. (2007, October 22). RACI Diagram / RACI Matrix – A Complete Definition – PM Hut. Retrieved July 6, 2014, from http://www.pmhut.com/raci-diagram-raci-matrix-a-complete-definition
- Morgan, R. (2008, December 22). How to Do RACI Charting and Analysis: A Practical Guide. Retrieved July 6, 2014, from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/how-to-do-raci-charting-and-analysis.php