W5_Hassan Albarrami_WORK ORDERS RISK MATRIX
1. Problem Definition
In my company, maintenance department is scheduling more than 200 preventive maintenance orders per month. Maintenance of equipment should not be done randomly, in fact it should be prioritized in logical biases. In this blog I will show you how to prioritize work orders biased on risk matrix.
2. Identify the Feasible Alternative
Four different preventive maintenance orders to be prioritize
- Lube oil pump for SYN gas machine
- Control valve in boiler B
- Methanol transfer pump C
- Steam Turbine lube oil pump B
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
All equipment in the plant should be rated in terms of criticality by a specialized team from all department s so that they can ensure they are focusing in the correct areas. The figure below is showing the steps they can rank the equipment .
Fagure 1 How to rank your equipment
The risk matrix is a very power full tool to prioritize orders. in fauure 2, the vertical gray column is showing failure consequence rate whereas horizontal gray row is showing the likelihood of the failure, the remaining numbers are the results from multiplication of the corresponding rates.
fagure 2 Risx matrix
The table below is showing risk rates resulted from the likelihood of failure and the criticality of equipment for the proposed orders.
4. Selection Criteria
The order with higher risk rate to be taken first
5.Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
From the table above it is clear that Lube oil pump for SYN gas machine is located in very critical area but because the equipment is reliable and the history of the equipment is good, it got 5 points which is low risk. Control valve in boiler B got 8 points which is also low risk but to be attended before SYN gas machine pump. Methanol transfer pump C is getting the lowest risk so it can be done at last. Finally Steam Turbine lube oil pumps B scoring 12 points which is medium risk according to risk matrix .
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
From the results the priority of orders will be as following
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
The management has to reassess the list of equipment in terms of criticality every year and to find logical way to calculate the probability of failure for all equipment.
- Prometheusgroup.com, Equipment Criticality and the Prioritization of Work Orders, Retrieved on 06.07.2014 from http://www.prometheusgroup.com/kindle/conference/Equipment-Criticality.pdf
- Plant-maintenance.com, Defining Work Order Priorities, Retrieved on 06.07.2014 fromhttp://www.plant-maintenance.com/articles/WOPriorities.pdf