1. Problem Definition
A consultant company wants to present their Schedule for the client in the kick of meeting and their planner who is professional in Microsoft project is in vacation. And he will not come back prior the presentation’s date.
2. Identify the Feasible Alternative
The project manager of the consultant company decided to create the Gantt chart in excel.
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
The table below summarizes the task, start date, duration and finish date
4. Selection Criteria
The steps to create the Gantt chart in excel are explained clearly in the below link of YouTube:-
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
For our case the implementation of the instruction in the above link will result to the following Figure
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
Gantt charts are most commonly used for tracking project schedules. It is useful to show information about the various tasks or phases of the project, the tasks relate to each other, how far each task has progressed, what resources are being used for each task and so on. For quick events such a presentation or small assignments Gantt chart in excel will be sufficed.
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
A Gantt chart, commonly used in project management, is one of the most popular and useful ways of showing activities (tasks or events) displayed against time. Each activity is represented by a bar; the position and length of the bar reflects the start date, duration and end date of the activity. This allows you to see at a glance:
- What the various activities are
- When each activity begins and ends
- How long each activity is scheduled to last
- Where activities overlap with other activities, and by how much
- The start and end date of the whole project
To summarize, a Gantt chart shows you what has to be done (the activities) and when (the schedule).
For presentation and small assignment a Gantt chart might be presented in excel. For big project a Gantt chart should be presented in primavera or Microsoft project.
1. Jodi Sorensen (2013, July). How to Create a Gantt chart in Excel Retrieved July 06, 2014, from http://www.smartsheet.com/blog/gantt-chart-excel?page=27
2. Chart Director (2008, December). Simple Gantt Chart. Retrieved July 06, 2014, from http://www.qrb-bw.de/pdf_pool/pythondemo/cdpydoc/gantt.htm
3. Project smart. (2013, August). How to Create a Gantt Chart Using Microsoft Excel. Retrieved July 06, 2014, from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/creating-a-gantt-chart-using-excel.php