1. Problem Definition
In the blog 6 A project manager used flatten WBS to know the division of works in multi-level system in order to manage whole project. But he found this way would not let him evaluate the other things such as who will do the work, when the work can be done what is the cost of the work at the same time.
2. Identify the Feasible Alternative
Since the Flatten Work breakdown system (WBS) with coding system was adopted in the previous blog. A project manager chose the Multi-dimensional WBS and he expects to see additional things to facilitate his evaluation of the project. This Technique was established by Jean-Yves. See this link to learn more about it (http://3d-wbs.blogspot.fr/2014/06/part-120-tetrahedron-projects-like.html ).
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
From Previous blog the flatten work breakdown structure was determined and as shown in the Figure 1 below
In addition to the above figure the following information are available:-
- Name of project.
- The place of the project.
- The purposes of the project.
- The schedule of the project.
- The executor of the project.
- The cost of the project.
- The importance of the project.
4. Selection Criteria
The Application Multi-Dimensional WBS on construction of road should answer the following Questions:-
The scope questions:-
1) What is the Project?
2) Where is the Place of the project?
3) For what is this project?
4) How the project will be done?
The Value Question
1) When the project should be done (Time or schedule)?
2) Who will do the project (contractor’s name or the team of the contractors, resources)?
3) How much the project will cost?
4) Why this project is important?
Each answer of these questions should be rated from 0 to 10.
0 = no performance
10= excellent performance
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
Figure-2 below shows the full details of the implementation of multi-dimensional WBS on the construction of road.
Figure-3 shows the configuration of management
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
In a comparison with flatten WBS the Multi- dimensional WBS is more efficient and realistic because it shows many project’s criteria at the same time which facilitates the control and management.
The performance of WBS that is made for a project can be seen whether has met the deliverables to be achieved.
The big challenge in the Multi- dimensional WBS that is a new technique requires more time to be understandable and applicable and should be established by expertise to guarantee it’s achievable.
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
It is preferable to use- Multi Dimensional WBS instead of flatten WBS but it is necessary to update the Multi-Dimensional WBS periodically.This will have a positive impact on reducing the possible change orders by refining the scope and eliminating any possible omissions or errors.
- AL-Abri, A. H. (2014, July 4). WBS of Construction Road [Web log posthttps://pmioman14.wordpress.com/category/week-6/]. Retrieved from http:/pmioman14.wordpress.com/category/week-6/
- Moine, J. Y. (2014). 3D work breakdown structure method. Retrieved July 10, 2014, from http:/3d-wbs.blogspot.fr/
- Giammalvi, P. D. (2013). Day2. In AACE Certification Preparation Course Handouts.
- Hendrickson, C. H. (2008, August 1). pmbook.ce.cmu.edu/. Retrieved July 4, 2014, from http:// pmbook.ce.cmu.edu/
- Swidrski, M. (2012, August 1). .work breakdown structure. Retrieved July 4, 2014, from http://www.workbreakdownstructure.com/