- Problem Recognition
Currently the produced water from skim tank at A station is pumped to evaporation ponds using water disposal pump. Off late the water cut of wells have increased that resulted in more water being pumped to evaporation ponds and eventually flooding of ponds. There is an urgent need to address this problem on a long term basis.
Produced water treatment facilities and Water injection (WI) facilities are available at B station. The company is planning to transport produced water from A to B station through 8.5 Km pipeline.
- Development the Feasible Alternative
Considering the following type of pipeline is to be used to transport produced water from A to B station:
- Carbon steel pipeline with internal PE coating.
- RTP pipeline.
- HDPE pipeline.
- Development of the Outcome for Alternative
The following criteria to be considered while selecting the concept of the pipeline project:
- Pipeline material Reliability and integrity.
- Operating pressure and temperature.
- Project execution time.
- Design life.
- Selection of Criteria
The decision Matrix Analysis technique is used to select the best of type of pipeline from A to B station.
- Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
In the below table each selection factor can score each option from 0 (poor) to 5 (very good) . where all the numbers based on previous experience in pipeline project.
Material: 4= very low corrosion, 3= Low corrosion, 2 =Medium corrosion, 1= High corrosion
Operating pressure and temperature: 4= High, 3= Medium, 2= Low, 1= Very Low
Cost: 4=Cheapest, 3=Cheap, 2=Expensive, 1=Most Expensive
Time (Project Execution): 4= High, 3= Medium, 2= Low, 1= Very Low
Design life: 4= High, 3= Medium, 2= Low, 1= Very Low
Table 1 Un- weighted grid
In Table 2 scoring the numbers for the relative importance of the factors based on similar previous experience. Show these as numbers from, say, 0 to 4, where 0 means that the factor is absolutely unimportant in the final decision, and 4 means that it is very important. As an example High=4, Medium=3, Low=2, Very Low=1
Table 2 Weighted as per importance to the company management
Now multiply each of your scores from Table-2 by the values for relative importance of the factor that you calculated in Table-1. This will give you weighted scores for each option/factor combination in Table-3
Table 3 Weighted scores
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative
In the above decision Matrix Analysis (Grid Analysis) technique in Table 3 the HDPE pipeline score the highest value which it shows meet the company requirement and help to achieve produced water target.
- Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
The second option is carbon steel pipeline with PE coating which can be considered as alternative.
- Hubais Ali (2014) W7_Selection mobile phone by using Matrix Analysis. Retrieved from https://pmioman14.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/w7-ali-hubais-selection-mobile-phone-by-using-matrix-analysis/
- Using a DECISION MATRIX retrieved on July 18, 2014 http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/sk/decisionmaking.htm
- Decision Matrix Analysis retrieved on July 18, 2014 http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTED_03.htm