1. Problem Definition
The team has been now in the 10th week of the project management program. In the first week we’ve posted about tuckman assessment after identifying in which stage the team is and what is the best leadership style to be adopted at the identified stage. The problem statement was to recognize the suitable leadership style at the stage where the team lay. According to the team survey result (using P80), the team was in performing stage. As per the weekly report the team now is behind schedule and overrun budget so same survey was conducted once again to know where the team is and find the suitable leadership style.
2. Identify the feasible alternatives
Bruce Tuckman described the team development phases in 1965. His model divided the life of each team into stages: forming, storming, norming and performing. It describes the relationship between the team members and expects the group behavior which conventionally provides the leadership styles for each of these stages. Hersey and Blanchard’s situational leadership theory said that the leaders should change their style based on the maturity level of the group they are leading and the tasks. The styles are: telling, selling, participating and delegating. The table below blends the two models together:
Table 1 – Tuckman’s model and Hersey and Blanchard’s situational leadership model
3. Development of the outcome for alternative
6 members out of 22 have answered the Donald Clark questionnaire this time and the results are:
Table 2 – Donald Clark  survey team results
As shown on the above table, because of different perspective about current development stage, each team member has different opinion; therefore, Delphi technique with P80 is decided to be used.
4. Selection Criteria
We will use PERT analysis on the above data but the calculation here will be based on the Mode
Table 3 – Mode- Delphi Technique P80
According to the calculation above, our team is in the STORMING stage
We will use PERT analysis on the above data but the calculation here will be based on the Median
Table 4 – Median- Delphi Technique P80
According to the calculation above, our team is in the FORMING stage
5. Analysis and Comparison of the alternative
The storming stage has the highest score using Mode and forming using median.
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
I think the team is in the storming stage which means that the style of the leadership should be Coaching and Selling. The leader should:
- Solve the conflicts
- Made the decisions
- Discuss the team progress
- Focus on the team relationships and working on differences
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
The team is in the middle of the program and according to the data (Mode) we are –surprisingly AGAIN– still in the storming stage. Well I don’t know if we will go through the other stages to reach the performing one lastly -We are in W10.
- Cscaweb.org (2012). Retrieved from http://www.cscaweb.org/EMS/sector_team/support_files/tools_for_the_team/tool_stage.pdf
- Lujaj (2008, September). Tuckman s Team Development Analysis – Term Paper – Lujaj. Retrieved from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Tuckman’s-Team-Development-Analysis-161881.html
- Mind Tools (2014). The Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Theory – from MindTools.com. Retrieved from http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_44.htm
- Webster, M. (2012, October). What Everybody Ought to Know About Team Building and Situational Leadership. Retrieved from http://www.leadershipthoughts.com/team-building-and-situational-leadership/#brucetuckmansmodelofgroupdevelopment