- Problem Definition.
In EPC project in oil and gas industry after completion of most of design works and a design review meeting shall organized to evaluate the design against the requirement in order to ensure that the outcome and to identify if any issues before giving approval for construction team. In order to improve and evaluate the meetings a survey has been generated. A sample of 50 engineers participants feedback used as inputs in this study.
- Identify the Feasible Alternative.
The below survey form was distributed for after several design review meetings.
- Development of the Outcome for Alternative.
Graph 1 performance of design review meetings
- Selection of Criteria.
A large part of what makes a meeting design review meeting successful occurs in the preparation phase. There are seven key responsibilities expected of project engineer and facilitator before design meeting takes place.
a. Clarify purpose and aims
b. Create an agenda
c. Schedule the meeting
d. Post and send out agenda
f. Circulate supporting information
g. Make room arrangements
h. Arrange for recorder
- Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative.
Form the survey result shows that the followings score more than 70 %:
- Implementation ground rules for our meetings.
- Purpose of the meeting is clear.
- Topic frame agenda.
- Meeting agenda.
On the other hand the following score less than 60 %:
- Control of topic discussion.
- Meeting place.
- Complete on time.
- The agenda arrive on time.
Also some of the survey items score between 60- 70% which show good control but need improvement.
- Selection of the Preferred Alternative.
Analyze the items that score below 60%:
a.Control of topic discussion: unable to make decisions include:
- Goals and outcome are not made explicit for the discussion topic.
- Certain participants get side tracked on peripheral issues.
- Consequences of not deciding are negligible.
- Philosophical issues divide people.
b. Meeting place: shall be having all the requirement in term of :
- Size of the room.
c. Complete on time: meetings run overtime some of which include:
- The meeting did not start on time in the first place and thus the group got behind schedule.
- The sequence of topics was not based on their significance thus too much time may have been spent initially on items of lesser importance.
- Meeting time was not managed well.
- Too much was planned for time available.
d.The agenda arrive on time so the participants can prepare for the meeting.
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result.
To ensure follow-through and accountability a meeting leader needs to do three key tasks after the meeting ends:
- Distribute minutes
- Archive meeting documents
- Check for action
- Office of Quality Improvement. (2014). How to Lead Effective Meetings. Retrieved from http://quality.wisc.edu/effective-meetings.htm
- Quality Improvement. (2014). what to do During a Meeting. Retrieved from http://quality.wisc.edu/effective-meetings-during.htm
- Effective Meetings. (2014). 10 Tips for Starting and Finishing your meetings on Time. Retrieved from http://www.effectivemeetings.com/meetingplanning/agenda/meetontime.asp