- Problem Definition
Currently the produced water from skim tank at Gathering station is pumped to evaporation ponds using water disposal pump. Off late the water cut of wells have increased that resulted in more water being pumped to evaporation ponds and eventually flooding of ponds. There is an urgent need to address this problem on a long term basis.
Produced water treatment facilities and Water injection facilities are available at Production station. The company is planning to transport produced water from Gathering to Production station through 10 Km of pipeline.
2. Development the Feasible Alternative
As normal practice of the pipe selection, it was considered the following types of pipeline to be used to transport produced water from gathering to production station: Carbon steel pipeline, RTP pipeline and HDPE pipeline.
3. Development of the Outcome for Alternative
To select the best option and optimum selection of the pipeline project then the following criteria will be considered: Pipeline material Reliability and integrity, Operating pressure and temperature, Cost, Project execution time and finally the Design life.
4. Selection of Criteria
The decision Matrix Analysis technique is used to select the best of type of pipeline from gathering to production station.
5. Analysis and Comparison of the Alternative
In the following table each selection factor can score from 0 (poor) to 5 (very good). While all the numbers based on previous experience in pipeline project.
Material: 4= very low corrosion, 3= Low corrosion, 2 =Medium corrosion, 1= High corrosion
Operating pressure and temperature: 4= High, 3= Medium, 2= Low, 1= Very Low
Cost: 4=Cheapest, 3=Cheap, 2=Expensive, 1=Most Expensive
Time (Project Execution): 4= High, 3= Medium, 2= Low, 1= Very Low
Design life: 4= High, 3= Medium, 2= Low, 1= Very Low
As a correlation of above, in following table scoring the numbers for the relative importance of the factors (based on similar previous experience done). Show these as numbers from, 0 to 4; where 0 means that the factor is absolutely unimportant in the final decision, and 4 means that it is very important. As an example is High=4, Medium=3, Low=2, Very Low=1
Now multiplying each of our scores from 1st table by the values for relative importance of the factor that we have calculated in 2nd table. This will give the weighted scores for each option/factor combination in the following table
6. Selection of the Preferred Alternative
In the above decision Matrix Analysis (Grid Analysis) technique in last table, the HDPE pipeline score the highest value which it is meeting the company requirements and help to achieve produced water target.
7. Performance Monitoring and the Post Evaluation of Result
While keeping good record of the previous projects as referenced data will support a lot (definitely) to make estimation and to smooth the decision making. Also, the second option is carbon steel pipeline with PE coating which can be considered as alternative in case of scope change.
- com, a. (n.d). matrix analysis. Retrieved September 6, 2014, from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FMatrix-Analysis-Roger-A-Horn%2Fdp%2F0521386322&ei=mwoLVPH-DJCXasWogqAD&usg=AFQjCNGU1qZqgF6wA2ktTyMtLOn4p-_2bA&bvm=bv.74649129,d.d2s
- com, b. (n.d). concept selection. Retrieved September 6, 2014, from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessdictionary.com%2Fdefinition%2Fconcept-selection.html&ei=AQsLVIyDJ8jkaMDngsgK&usg=AFQjCNEWXY7RjjSz3g5u-6tZPMpXIM7v3Q&bvm=bv.74649129,d.d2s
- com, a. (n.d). grid analysis. Retrieved September 6, 2014, from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDoQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.answers.com%2FQ%2FWhat_is_the_grid_analysis_decision_making_technique&ei=YgsLVLaGMNDnaMCLgvgE&usg=AFQjCNEfFOEzvAhqdf0jZjBpA_Jnjdl7UA&bvm=bv.74649129,d.d2